Thursday, December 6, 2012

Patience

What I Decided To Do Today

All day today, while doing various stuff, I thought about the type of changes I wanted to make. I need them to be subtle and noticeable to me. Does that make sense? There are several different things I want to do with my life (I'll touch on those at a later time). For now, the biggest one is being the best mom I can possibly be to my boys. Isn't that every mother's goal? 

I realized in order for me to achieve this, I need to harbor in my patience. Yes, I do have it but I find it floating away from me during the most inopportune times. Right when I need it and reach out for it, it sneaks away! I need to realize that when my boys need my attention, I need to give it to them, most of the time. I'm not going to give in to their every whim and need either. 

I also need to learn how to not focus on so many things at one time. Several times, I've caught my oldest say to me "Mom, are you listening to what I'm saying?" Whoa! I'm great at multi-tasking but I probably shouldn't when my kid is speaking to me. These are the precious moments in life that go by so quickly. One day, I'll look up and realize that they are grown men with their own careers and families. Though, I do have to say that I made my oldest promise me that he would never leave me. He was 5 years old at the time, so it worked. Now, not so much. 

Recently, we celebrated my oldest's 9th birthday and celebrated his getting on the honor roll in school. I had tears of joy and sadness falling down my face. I was extremely proud of him. To the point where I literally felt my heart swelling with so much love. So much love!  As a mom, I want my children to be more successful than I ever was or will be. My second will also be celebrating his 7th birthday in just 2 days! While, his grade level doesn't recognize honor roll yet, his grades were equivalent to that. Once again, I am proud, extremely proud. My babies are growing up. I can't believe how fast time is flying. 

I have another son, my baby. My little baby boy who is 3.5 years old. He is the perfect child for me to practice my patience on. I'm gonna have to tether that patience balloon next to me. 


With all these birthdays (mines was thrown in the mix too), I came to the realization that my time is NOW. My time for my family is NOW. So, my goal for this week and on going is to practice my patience and focus on my kids more. I will hang on to that patience balloon as tight as I can and tug on it hard when I need it the most. This is how I will start with my little, subtle changes in my life. Change doesn't happen over night. I will need, you guessed it, PATIENCE.

Finding That Patience

2 comments:

  1. Dianne.I read your Blog & you are not alone.Every parent on earth(in my mind) ask themselves if they are good enough at being a parent.The fact that you took the time to think about them,proves that you are already doing a good job.Being a Mom to 5.Ages !0 boy,13 girl,18,girl,21 girl,26 boy, I also have been primarily a stay at home Mom for the past 14 years.Some parents can be pretty self absorbed with themselves,their own needs & feelings & put their kids on the back burner.For me being a Mom & a parent is the most important job in the world.You clearly are a devoted loving Mom.You have 3 young boys.Boys have a lot of energy.When you try to love all 3 & meet all their needs,Its seems like sometimes we take away something for the others when we do something for one.It's a balancing act for sure.This may sound completely Cliche" but Im going there, kids don't come with instruction manuals & even if they did some parents would still mess it up.If your chidden do not have any underlying issues,that is a reflection of your parenting style.At the end of the day we are all human & get tired or distracted.That doesn't make a bad parent.I feel that I'm not doing the best job at least 100xs per day.I hope you find a way to know in your heart that you are a good mom.My children are all in competitive sports,which is a big commitment of time for parents.I try not to ever miss a thing,& when I do I feel awful.Then I look at a child whose parents are never present ever.I wonder what could be that darn important that they can't show up.By saying that,a lot of families have both parents working,or establishing a career to provide for them financially.Iv'e been there a single Mom Of two working full time to send my 2 kids at the time to a catholic school.While I did work on some evenings & weekends,I could call off to make a Hockey Game,or travel out of town for a dance convention.Having a career doesn't give a parent an excuse to miss ever single solitary event in their child's lives.So again I'm just going off your post & a few exchanges of comments back & fourth & I a perfect stranger can tell by what you wrote,that you are a loving caring Mom.I hope & wish you the best,& look forward to reading more of your blogs.From one Mom to another,keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Jmarie.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)