Monday, June 3, 2013

Aha! Serendipity!

You know that moment when you're happily going about your business and something/someone appears in your life when you least expect it? When you feel like this is exactly where you were meant to be? When you know that THIS was the reason why you made the conscious decision to be at that place at that exact moment? These happy little accidents? Well, I had such one of these moments this past week. It was incredible.

It all started with a Google+ Hangout that I attended on learning how to be a Virtual Assistant. The host, +Alyssa Avant , wrote a book called FaithLeaps: A Christian Mom's Guide to Passion, Purpose and Profits. During her session, one of the attendees brought up her book. Alyssa mentioned that she's in works to relaunch her book but needed extra reviews in order to accomplish that. I immediately jumped at the opportunity being that I do book reviews. Little did I know that I would also be getting a lesson, an eye opener, my AHA! moment out of reading this book. 

FaithLeaps is a non-fiction, self help type of book. I normally don't read those but every now and then there are a few that interest me. The title of the book called to me and said "read me". Seriously. I was at the right place, at the right time

FaithLeaps spoke to me. The language Alyssa uses is straightforward and easy to understand. I could relate to Alyssa as she guided me by sharing her story. There were moments through out the book where I was going "hmm" and "ahhh" out loud. To the point where my husband was teasing me, in fun way. Of course I had to talk his ear off about what I was reading. 

FaithLeaps gave me several things to think about. What is my passion in life? What is my purpose? What can I do to pursue that passion and purpose? What am I good at doing? Alyssa had us take a personality test and a spiritual gift test. The results of the first was very surprising. The results of the second were a confirmation. 

I wrote down things that I am passionate about. Unsurprising, at the top of my list was reading (I wrote a post about it here). Well, here's my list:




This isn't an all inclusive list, since there are more things that I am passionate about, not to mention my family and children. So when Alyssa asked to take a moment to write down my passions, it gave me a lot to think about. Honestly, I'm still thinking about them. 

She then asked to write down the things we are good at. I'd like to think that I am great at a lot of things that whole "Jack of all trades, Master of none" phrase came to mind. I am the type of person that can learn things and apply them when needed. I love learning new things. More so as I've gotten older since my priorities have changed. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would. Alas... I made choices in my youth that have led to where I am today. Okay, I'm getting off tangent (as I almost always do). I came up with a list of things that I am good at. Here is my list: 


Once again, not an inclusive list of things but some that I felt were relevant. I almost put down that I'm good at writing but I felt it would have been a little too arrogant. I like to share my thoughts, feeling, things I've learned and accomplished with all through my blog. Though I do this, I know that I can improve my writing skills some more.

The personality test is one that surprised me the most. Why? Well, Alyssa had us take a personality test based on Florence Littauer's book Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself. My results were: 


Hmmm.. 77% Sanguine, really? While I do love to talk, my husband can attest to that, and other friends too, I've always considered myself shy. Well, that is until I get to know you better or feel comfortable around you. I even took the test just now to make sure the results weren't "off" the first time around. 

My spiritual gift results were: Showing Mercy. I am very forgiving and believe in second chances though I might get burned again. I believe in helping others and caring for others in the best way that I can.  

All these things that Alyssa had us do, opened my eyes. It made me think of the direction my life is going in right now. When I first started this blog, it was because I needed an outlet to share my journey into making some positive changes in my life. Remaining true to my values and myself but adding some richness to it. Adding some new adventures. Discovering things I've never known about myself. Becoming more than just a mom and wife. I needed to add more meaning to my life. Feel more accomplished. 

It seems that the choices (my path) that I've made thus far, have taken me in the right direction. My blog has evolved and I imagine it will continue to do so, as I, myself, evolve. I started doing book reviews, which I truly enjoy. (This post is a review of sorts but you can see my Amazon review here.) Now, I have been participating in Google+ Hangouts where I can learn more about blogging and explore all that blogging has to offer. I have even applied to an internship program with +Kelli Miller of 3boysandadog

All in all, FaithLeaps has given me the confidence and guide to continue following the path I'm on. I never set out to do what I'm doing now but it is just where I've been led. This book came into my life when I least expected it but when I needed it most, if that makes sense. I was destined to attend that Google+ hangout where Alyssa shared her book. Had I not been there, I would have missed out on a grand opportunity to read FaithLeaps. 

My Aha! moment was when Alyssa confirmed that all the things I want to accomplish are attainable if I just continue to have faith. I need to put my faith and trust in the Lord for He will continue guiding me on my path. I have always believed, and will continue to do so, that everything I do and have has been because He has given it to me. Because God has provided it for me. 

Picture provided by http://www.flickr.com/photos/4thglryofgod/

So, I will continue to pray for guidance and trust in the Lord that I am on the right path. I do feel as I've added some more meaning to my life. My relationship with my husband has continued to grow beautifully. I've met new people who will surely add some value to my life. I truly feel like I am on my way to being a richer (not materialistic) me. 

Thank you for reading, I know this post was long. 




1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)