Thursday, May 30, 2013

Innocent Monsters Book Review




Synopsis:
When Kaitlyn dies, young writer Jessica Lynch loses not just a sister, but the calm centre of her stormy existence, the compass that guided her through a life disturbed by memories of their abusive father. 

Confused, despairing and struggling to piece her broken life back together, Jessica meets reclusive William Blaise. He is an awkward an introverted man who has isolated himself from the rest of the world, battling terrible childhood experiences of his own. Their similar pasts bind them together and they become lovers, comparing scars and hurts, exposing their true nature to one another and finding their private kind of truth. 

As investigations into her sister's death continue, Jessica senses a growing awareness that William is not the man she wants him to be. But then, is she really the woman she thought she was. 

Title: Innocent Monsters
Author: Barbara Doherty
Location(s) Available: Amazon


Review

When I first started out reading Innocent Monsters, I had to put it down and really think on whether or not I wanted to continue. The first few pages alone makes you angry at what is happening to one of the main characters, William. I read the synopsis over again to make sure what I was getting into. So I decided to continue. 

While the first part of the story is shocking, it does get better. Well, it doesn't have as much of the shocking factor I read in the beginning. This story tells the tale of two lost souls, William and Jessica, coming together when they needed each other the most. They use each other, unbeknownst to one another, to help them overcome their past and present struggles. There is sadness through out the book, a lot of it, though with the hope of surviving. 

I have to say that while the story is bleak and dark at times, it didn't tug at me like other stories would. With the exception of the beginning. I'm not sure why though I think it was because the story was just so real that I can't even begin to think about what the characters went through on real terms. It was probably a defense/survival mechanism in me where I decided to separate myself from the characters so as to not feel their anguish and pain. I know that the things the main characters went through happen every single day and it is very real.

I do have to say that this story is certainly not for the faint of heart. It is shocking and will make you angry but it will also make you want to root for the characters so that they come out surviving.  

Do I recommend this story? Hard for me to say simply because of what the story is about. It is a good one though I know it's not for everyone. So, if you can read about atrocities committed to the innocent and are not easily offended by such acts, then yes I do recommend because in the end there is hope. However, if you can't but decide to still read, don't say you weren't warned.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)