Tuesday, May 21, 2013

To My Honey Bunches of Oats


It's been a while since I've written you a letter. A long time, as a matter of fact.


I remember when we used to do that, you know. Do you remember? I know you do. I still have our exchanges.

Presently, someone close to us is going on a journey that is reminiscent to our journey. I'm grateful for this reminder. Ecstatic, actually. Why? Well, all the memories of when and how we met came flooding back to me. I pray for many blessing for our friend.

I remember being a 23 year old woman, fresh out of college.I was living in Atlanta with my best friend and away from the home I've always known, St. Croix. I was having a grand old time but something was missing. I felt it in me. I remember going to church every Sunday. I needed that in my life. During this time, I started praying for someone in my life. Lo and behold, who did I happen to meet. You.

+Kevin Hunt , you were and still are, completely different than any other guy I'd ever met. You were the complete opposite of who I thought was my type. You were the breath of fresh air that lifted my soul. You saved me from everything. I needed you in my life then. I need you in my life now.

I remember logging in to Black Planet and just browsing seeing who I could see, this was in October of 2001. I don't know why I chose the DC area to search for guys. But you know what, I'm happy I did. I remember seeing your picture and thinking that you were cute. I was nervous to send you a note (message back then). I didn't think you would respond but I'm happy you did.

While our courtship didn't have all the romance that we hear from others, it did have it's uniqueness to it. I loved exchanging emails and instant messages with you. I loved exchanging written letters with you. I loved exchanging pictures with you. I loved talking with you on the phone. Oh, I remember how on my 24th birthday in December pf 2001 we talked all day . That is when I knew I was in love with you. Imagine that, just two months after meeting you.

I remember how you said you loved me. I was so clueless to this but I remember seeing it all the time as your sign off from instant messaging to me. 1-4-3. I'm glad I asked you what it meant. From then on, it was our thing. Then the time came, the time to finally meet face to face. It was April of 2002. Oh boy, we were nervous! I still can't believe I flew to see you. I wouldn't change it for the world.

I still remember walking to your studio apartment and hearing that sweet, seductive music flowing out of your apartment, This Woman's Work - Maxwell. Mmm... you sure knew how to make a woman melt. I still remember those rose petals strewn across your apartment floor and the flowers you had waiting for me.

Instantly I knew we were gonna be married.
Instantly I knew we were meant to be.

At that point, there was no turning back. I'd found my soul mate. I'd found the man who was going to be with me for the rest of my life. We were married a few months later that same year, September 2002.

We'll be married 11 years this year. How time flies. We have 3 amazing boys to show for it. We've had our ups and downs, like any other couple. We have grown together. We have grown individually. Yet our love still remains the core of our relationship.

I don't say it enough but THANK YOU.
Thank you for choosing to marry me, you didn't have to.
Thank you for loving me, I can be mentally all over the place.
Thank you for taking care of the boys and I, I know it's tough.
Thank you for always being you no matter what.
Thank you for being my husband.

You are a wonderful person. An incredible man. An amazing husband and father. I love you dearly. I will always love you till my dying day. I chose you and will do so a million and one times over.

Always and Forever,
D.


I don't normally post really personal things like this on my blog, especially if it includes my husband. I can say all these things but I felt it needed to be said in a special place. Thank you for reading.
Exceptionalistic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)