Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Resolution For Me?

For most my life, I never put much stock into making a New Year's resolution or a list of them. I always looked at New Year's resolutions as a way for people to delude themselves into thinking that things are going to change. After all, I felt that resolutions were a list of unattainable goals or unrealistic expectations that people would create just to make themselves feel better about their life.

For some reason, this year, my thought process on resolutions have changed. Though, I won't call it a resolution(s). I don't want to hold myself prisoner to that word.
I have, in my mind, a direction where I want to go with my life. What I want to do. Who I want to be.
I want to end 2013 feeling great about things that I've accomplished. Whether they are things where I've helped others or helped myself. I want to known of I've made a contribution to the world, no matter how big or small.

I have this strong desire within myself to help others and do more. I'm not sure of it's the realization that I can and should do more OR it's the influence of people I know who have selfless and giving souls. Whatever it is that is fueling this desire within me, I pray that spark remains of ignited and that it one day burns bright!

Will I accomplish this? Abso-FREAKING-lutely!! Why? Because in my mind, I know that I can do this. I will it to be so. I just have to continue trying to think positive in all that I do.
I know it will be hard, but by the grace of God, support and encouraging words of great friends and family, it will be done.

So here's to a New Year! 2013 will be great for me and all those I love.

AFTERTHOUGHT: After I wrote this out on my handy dandy Nexus 7 (I love how I could just pull up the blogger app and write my thoughts down as I had them in my head.), I had to have a conversation with my oldest about being considerate and thoughtful of others. Funny, how life has a way of "opening" your eyes and reaffirming you that you are indeed going in the right direction. Or so that is how I feel. 

How else can I teach my children about being kind, respectful, thoughtful, considerate and compassionate towards others if I myself don't lead by example. I can say and say and say but if I don't put thought to action, I will not have done my job as a mother and taught my children to hold these characteristics. I need to show them by displaying these characteristics daily. 

I'm not saying that my children don't hold these characteristics because they do but I need to make sure that they continue to have them as they get older. Too often, we come across teenagers or young adults who have an entitlement attitude. They feel they are entitled to have and do things because, well, just because. I don't want my boys to be this way. I want them to know that it is okay and important to be selfless and giving towards others. Not be taken advantage of but to know that your heart needs to be big and that you do things for others without expecting nothing in return. 

Any thoughts welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)