Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Making and -Breaking- Prioritizing Habits

I realized this morning (as I was trying to meditate) that in order for me to stick with something, I needed to create new habits and prioritizing my existing ones. I have a feeling that I knew this all along I just didn't want to acknowledge it because it would mean that I would have to actually work hard at it.

You often read in self help books or other places how it takes 21 days to create and stick with new habits. I wish I could say this really works but I can't. I've never stick with anything new long enough for me to realize it.

Actually, I may have and never realized it because I didn't put much effort into it. For example, I love sitting around and being lazy. I never was like that. Slowly but surely it was a habit that I created and stuck with for 21 days and beyond. Yay!!!! Why do I say yay? Well not because of what the habit is but because I CAN create and stick with new habits. See, take what could be a negative and turn into a positive.

Anyway, part of the point of this blog post was because this morning I was too lazy to meditate. Seriously? That's bad right there. To lazy to meditate where all it takes is just sitting down and clearing your mind? Wow.... I need to do some reflections of my habits and how they will and will not affect or benefit me, now and in the future.

I finally decided to meditate quickly. It seems like my body was asking for it but my mind was trying to fight it. The challenge in meditating is still clearing my mind. My thoughts do drift to anything and everything, often to what I could blog about. So I decided to blog about making and -breaking- prioritizing habits.

I know I can do it. I just need to find habits worth making and prioritizing my already existing habits. I don't want to to do away with the ones I already have. I just need to find the right time to do them. I know that if I try and do away completely with a habit, I will fail.

Habit making and -breaking- prioritizing is, for me, a mind over matter kind of thing. I want to do it. I just need to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Creating the habit of meditating daily? How wonderful Dianne! I'm sure it's challenging , but I know you can do it, as you can do so many other amazing things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I found that it has helped me to reflect and it does make me feel better. I also realized that I don't have to limit myself to just meditating in the morning. I can incorporate in my day during quiet times (the rare ones).

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)