Sunday, January 6, 2013

Meditation For Me? Hmmmmm

Hmmm... Meditation, will it work for me? Will I be able to stick with it?

The answers to these question have yet to be seen but, you know what, I want to give it a shot. Why not? It's not like meditating will do my body any harm. On the contrary, from an article that I read recently on wellnessnaturalgirl.com, it states that meditation can actually lead to a healthier life. A more calmer one. And a state of mindfulness. Honestly, these are some things that I would like to achieve as well. 

So, I've been stewing over it for the past week. I know I wanted to do try it out, I just needed to get myself to actually do it! I have a problem where when I want to do something I think about it and have this grand plan in my head. In my mind, I have accomplished it and done very well at it BUT I can't seem to put my thoughts to action. I always bring up some sort of reason that really is just an excuse to not get it done. The reason, rather excuse, I wasn't getting my butt in gear to meditate is that I wanted to sleep in. I know meditating can be done at any time of the day but for me, with 3 boys, mornings are best for me. It is my peace time, my alone time. I usually get up a 1/2 hour earlier than the boys and enjoy a cup of coffee and read something. Plus, I believe that if you start your day on a positive note the rest of your day will follow suit.

Well, once the idea stewed in my head, I decided to set a start date. I'm a linear type of person. I need to have start dates and see things straight. I can't be jumbled up. My start date was/is Sunday, today. 

I got up around 7am and went downstairs. I found some meditation music on Pandora, sat in the pose recommended and started meditating. This was interesting. The article said to focus on your breathing and your body just releasing and your mind being cleared. It said to choose my Mantra, a word that I can repeat over and over and over and over and over and over.. well, you get the picture. Or to just focus on being in the moment. 

Everything worked well, except for clearing my mind. I couldn't decide on a Mantra (another thing for me to stew over). I was trying out different words and looking for them in my head. That defeated the purpose of clearing my mind. So I decided to focus on the moment. Well, that didn't work well either. As much as I tried clearing my mind, thoughts drifted to breakfast for the boys. I chastised myself and "cleared" my mind. Then my thoughts drifted to blogging about meditating, LOL. I had half the mind to pick up my N7 and start writing my thoughts down. Once again, I scolded myself. Then my thoughts drifted to how will meditating benefit me and sex. Yes, sex. Well, I didn't chastise myself this time, I just smiled at the thought of sex and filed it away for later use.

After focusing on the moment didn't work so well, I decided to focus on the music. That worked out well until the call of birds drifted in the with the music. That sounded really close to children screaming and shouting in the distance. Since I'd already switched to different focusing techniques I decided to just stick with something, anything. At this point, I needed to if I wanted to achieve some sort of success with meditating.  

I ended up meditating for about 15 minutes. The article said you only need about 10 minutes. So I felt like a champion knowing that I went beyond the recommended time. I felt like I was on top of the world.... briefly. 

I then decided to take it a step further and stretch. Whew... what an experience. I always thought I was limber but boy was I lying to myself. I hurt! My muscles were yelling at me asking what the hell I was doing! However, I pushed on and soothed them. I felt great after stretching so my muscles will be thankful, eventually. 

Now, as I write this, I do feel calmer. My morning was less stressful than other mornings. The boys were amazing. It was a peaceful morning. I feel invigorated and have energy and the want to do things. I know I'm on the right path with meditation since the article said that if I feel those things after meditating, I am doing it right. 

Here's to meditating and adding it to my routine.

Photo/Image By:
http://www.morguefile.com/creative/earl53

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)