Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review of the Facebook Diet







Synopsis:

A tongue-in-cheek look at our love of social media through 50 hilarious cartoons that complete the question, "You Know You're a Facebook Addict When...?"
 
Award-winning author and artist, Gemini Adams, offers a hilarious look at the most idiotic, embarrassing and cringe-worthy behaviors of our social media excess. 


With over 1 billion people now on Facebook (that's 1 in every 7 of us) and over 30% checking their account before brushing their teeth or hair in the mornings, it seems most can confess to an addictive Facebook habit; whether it's stalking an ex, faking bathroom breaks to read news, checking-in wherever they go, or art-directing photo's for the perfect profile pic.


Packed with funny digital detox tips that gently 'poke' at readers to examine the health of their high-tech habits and unplug once in a while, this laugh-out-loud gift book is guaranteed to bring a smile of recognition to Facebook junkies everywhere!

Title: The Facebook Diet: 50 Funny Signs of Facebook Addiction and Ways to Unplug With a Digital Detox
Series: The Unplug Series
Author: Gemini Adams
Publisher: Live Consciously Publishing (May 24, 2013)
Format: Paperback (146 pages)
Location Available: Amazon








When I received my paperback copy in the mail, in exchange for a review, I immediately knew I was going to be laughing out loud. Just the cover alone shows the love/hate relationship I feel I have with Facebook. I imagine there are lots of folks out there who feel the same. 

The ironic thing in me accepting this book for review is that not too long ago, I myself went through a Facebook Diet. Last year December, I completely deleted my account (which Facebook then taunted me by giving me several weeks to "change" my mind and sent me an email asking if I was sure I wanted to delete my account). I detoxed for about 3 months. Which I would recommend to everyone.

The Facebook Diet, has illustrations depicting each scenario in "You Know You're a Facebook Addict When...". Each illustration is funny and oh so true, as well as is each scenario. As I was reading this, I had several laugh out loud moments where I needed to share with my husband cause he wanted in on the fun. 

The ones I found the most hilarious were the ones that hit really close to home like: You've replaced your twice a day ritual of teeth cleaning with logging in to Facebook. I check Facebook and other social media sites, like Google+, when drinking my cup of coffee, in the morning, before the rest of house wakes up. It's my "me" time with Facebook. I must admit I get giddy when I see I have received over 10 notifications overnight! Woo Hoo! Are they all relevant to me? No, but it's fun seeing them. 

It's incredible how when reading the scenarios, I pictured several Facebook friends in my mind and mentally ticked off their names saying "Yep, that is such and such right there". It is really scary how well these scenarios can describe us and those we know around us. There's definitely food for thought in the book. 

This book is definitely a great gift to give to someone who you know spends way too much time on Facebook or to someone who is well on his or her way to becoming a bonafide Facebook addict. The best thing about the book, besides the side splitting funnies, is that the book gives you ways on how to unplug or detox, if you will, and how to achieve a less Facebook addicted lifestyle. 

Do I recommend this book? You bet I do! It's a book that everyone who has a Facebook account should read. If not for the educational value you'll get from it, at least read it for the sheer and utter enjoyment you'll get out of it. I recommend it for anyone over 18 years of age, as some of the illustrations are adult themed and fittingly so! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)