Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Inside the Writer's Mind ~ Interview with Beverly Ovalle








Same DiNamics: Writing can be a daunting prospect, what made you decide to share your story with the world?
Beverly Ovalle: It was actually a dare, a push by a friend to send a story in to a writing contest.

SD: Who has influenced you as an author?
BO: All of the authors I used to read since I started reading.  I would always continue the story in my mind or imagine what would happen if they had done something different.  Kind of like the stories they have now that are interactive.  I love those.

SD: What is your writing method? Do you outline first or do you purge your brain on paper until your story is told? 
BO: Oh I purge!  I've tried doing and outline and it just doesn't work.  I get bogged down because that usually isn't the way my characters want to go.

SD: How long does it take you to write your story, from getting it down on paper to publishing?
BO: Easily six to eight months or more and I swear most of it is waiting for acceptance! LOL!

SD: Can you tell me a little bit about your book(s) without giving away too much? Why should I read it? 
BO: Well, you did read it! :)  If you like a romance with lots of graphic sex, I'm your girl!  Love paranormal? That works for me too.  In Dragons' Mate a young woman is assaulted and to heal she goes home and adopts two dragons captured in a raid.  They really are shifters and know what happened as she told them, not knowing what they were.  They are all about her protection and happiness.

SD: How much of yourself is in your character(s)? 
BO: Not much.  Though you can't describe a good sex scene if you haven't experienced good sex, so I suppose the reactions would be mine :)
SD: What advice would you give to an aspiring author?
BO: Don't give up.  I never thought I would even publish once and here I am with 3 contracts, and two more submitted I hope will be accepted.  If you self publish, and this is from a point of view of a reviewer as I did that for 18 months and now do it on my blog, use an editor and spell check.  The best book in the world won't get read if it has a ton of spelling and grammar errors.  Most reviewers seem to be grammar fiends.

SD: Is there anything else that you'd like to share?
BO: Definitely!  I have two more shorts coming out soon.  Touched by the Sandman is currently TBD with Boroughs Publishing Group.  It is another Lunchbox Romance.  In Touched by the Sandman Ayrne comes to bring comfort, to change lonely dreams to happier ones.  He is captivated by the young woman and keeps coming back.  She begins to feel more alive and happier in her dreams than when she is awake.  He searches for a way to bring her into his world, unwilling to let her go.
In Lighting Strike out in November with Secret Cravings Publishing in their Weekend Getaway line, a photographer, Levi, happens to catch a lightning strike through his lens as it hits a tree.  When the flash clears from his eyes, he sees someone fall from the tree that had been hit.  He rushes to help and discovers a young woman.  As he later discovers, a tree nymph.  He is there to find a reason why his family should not sell the land.  Daphnaie is there to give him that reason.
I also have two I am waiting on for submission.  One is a non fiction piece about dealing with the grief.  The date of response for acceptance is Oct. 15.  I am also waiting on a recent submission to Decadent Publishing for the 1Night Stand line.  Inspired by my son's tattoo!  He is so NOT thrilled with me.
This one is actually a military romance.  No paranormal involved.
Thank you for having me!

~~~End Interview~~~


***Please note that the interview was posted after October. For that I apologize.***

Beverly Ovalle lives in Wisconsin with her husband Edmond of 23 years and two Chinese Water Dragons. Having her own Dragons is expected as she is dragon crazy and anyone that walks in her house can tell. Her son Nicholas visits when he is on leave from the Marines.  Her daughter Susannah visits to grocery shop in the pantry and to see what might be cooking for dinner.

Beverly has traveled around the world thanks to five years in the US Navy and has worked for the government in one capacity or another for the past 30 years. Beverly and her brothers have travelled most of the continental United States as children due to the station wagon from Hell.  Still active with veterans, she is adjutant for her local AMVETS.

Beverly has been reading romances since her Aunt introduced her to the gothic romance in the fourth grade and is still reading every chance she gets.

Contact Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)