Sunday, December 15, 2013

Proof that Actions Speak Louder than Words

I have a four year old who is full of life and love. He is a very happy kid and you can see it in his demeanor everyday. He almost always has a smile on his face and loves to play. He's also very, very loving. However, he'll show it to you rather than tell you. Which to me is proof of action speaking louder than words.

Everyday I ask him "How much do you love me?" or "Do you love me a lot or a little bit?". His response would be "1" or "a little bit" in a teasing voice, then he proceeds to laugh, all the while holding on tight to me. I can't say that he's never said "I love you, Mommy." because he has but only when I've asked him to say it. He's not outright said it on his own accord. He doesn't have to, he shows me every single day in his own little ways that he loves me.

He is very much attached to me but has a healthy separation. He'll go to school in the mornings with a bright smile on his face cause, after all, he is a big boy and is going on the bus with his big brothers. He'll get off the school bus with another smile on his face that tells me he had a fantastic day but is ready for some mommy time. Not once has he cried in school for wanting to be home. He plays well with his friends and brothers. BUT he is attached to me.

I attribute his attachment to the fact that he's been home with me ever since he was a baby. My older two were daycare babies since I was working then. He's been with me for his entire life. Whenever we are home and I'm reading or crocheting or watching TV, he is on me. Not next to.. but on me. If I'm doing something, he'll run up to me and give me a quick hug. He'll hold tightly for as long as he needs to, then he goes off to do what he was doing previously. His hugs are the tightest, warmest and definitely most sincere ever. Mommy is queen in his life.

I'll ask him for kisses and he grunts but gives me his forehead. Other times, he'll just blow them to me. Rarely does he ever give kisses. That's okay, I sneak them in from time to time.

I'm not complaining at all because I know that;

One day, he'll get to big to sit on my lap so I'll cherish these lap moments even if it means I can't crochet.

One day, he'll be to busy to stop and give me hugs so I'll cherish the interruptions for the sweetest hug a four year old can give.

One day, he'll be blowing those kisses to another girl, so I'll take every forehead kiss and as many blown kisses as I can get.

One day, he'll find another queen in his life and I'll no longer hold that position. That's okay. All that means is I did something right in allowing by sweet little boy to give and show as much love as he can, even if he doesn't speak the words "I love you" to me. I know that one day he'll say them to me and, when he does, it'll accompany the best hugs a mother can get.

My little boy, my sweet, little four year old proves to me every day that actions DO speak louder than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)