Friday, February 15, 2013

Keeping Up With Meditation

Ever since I discovered meditation, I've been trying my darnedest (not sure if that's a word but my SwiftKey says it is, so I'm rolling with it) to practice meditation daily.
I was trying to meditate first thing in the morning but that was not working for me. It was actually becoming a chore and something I was not looking forward to doing. I thought that would have been the ideal time of day since it is just me early in the morning and I felt it could set the tone for the rest of my day.
I've always known that without my first cup of coffee in the morning, I am a grump and a zombie... I drag my feet and I want to snap at everything. So, meditation was beginning to take a back seat.
One evening, I decided to try meditating in the shower. I found that it was actually more helpful for me to meditate while in the shower. The fact that it wasn't at the crack of dawn was a huge plus. Also, I'm in there by myself with no one to interrupt, for the most part.
I am slowly learning to clear my mind. I focus on the hot water hitting my body and the droplets running down. I focus on my breathing and inhaling the steam. This actually serves two purposes, I meditate AND the moist heat helps soothe my back muscles.
When I can't clear my mind, I just let it roam free with no direction. I just let it wander. It is actually freeing not having to think of one particular thing or all the stuff that needs to get done in the house or with/for the boys.
While I haven't seen any physical benefits to meditation, it certainly has helped mental well being. I know there are days when I feel blah and the meditation helps, even if just for a little while. It certainly brings life into focus for me.
I'm happy to say that meditating will definitely be a part of my life for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)