Sunday, November 9, 2014

Book Review of Lucky's Girl



Synopsis:

Something has awakened on Grove Island. Something that, even in sleep, has held Elton Township in its black embrace. Something old, wise and patient. Something that walked the ancient forests and howled beneath black skies. 

Kenny McCord had a good life - his own slice of the American Dream. But all of that is over, so he is heading home to the small town he left behind so many years ago. However Kenny is not the only son that has returned to Elton Township. His childhood friend, and worst enemy, has come back to settle old scores and, quite literally, raise a little hell.


Buy Link: AmazonBarnes & Noble
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22911381-lucky-s-girl?ac=1






I had the interesting opportunity to read Lucky's Girl for review. When I started reading it, I had no idea what I was in for. While it is classified as horror, I didn't find Lucky's Girl to be as scary as I thought. I found it to be more gory and jaw dropping than scary. It was intriguing and pulled me in because I just had to know how Lucky was the way he was. I needed answers. It had supernatural elements though not in the sense of ghosts, spirits, and other paranormal being. Cosmic horror is what it is classified as and I have to say that I like this sub genre.

I have to say that this book had lots of gore and, for lack of a better word, disgusting scenes. Scenes that pushed the boundaries, more so towards the latter of the book.

I had to read Lucky's Girl in doses. I couldn't read it in one sitting because there were things that I needed to digest. Things in the book that I needed to think about and realize why they were put in the book. All these things made Lucky who he is.

This is my first William Halloway book that I've read and I had mixed feelings about it. I wanted to love the book in its entirety but couldn't. I can't quite decide why though I have a theory. I'd like to say that it was because of the boundary pushing subject matter within the story but once you begin to comprehend why those things happen, it makes sense for it to be in the story. My theory is that I felt the ending was rushed. One minute I'm reading about what Lucky will do, and the next he is gone, or so it felt. After all that had happened, Lucky needed to get more than what he did.

Lucky's Girl is certainly not for someone who is easily offended or have strong religious beliefs. It will push your limits. It will test you. It will make you question your sanity for having made it through to the very end of the book. All in all, the story was a good and entertaining one. I enjoyed it, especially the intrigue as that is what pulled me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)